Sunday, April 6, 2008

Still Waiting

So, I removed the "baby due date ticker" because now that I am officially 3 days past my due date it is counting upwards. I'm sorry, but  after watching that number tick downwards for several months, I cannot bear to see it get bigger again. It's just too depressing. 

Yes, I still wait. Zero sign of any impending labour. I took a full hour's walk yesterday, took Kieran to the park even - which involves lots of chasing and lifting. Nothing. Tried it again today. Nothing (so far). I guzzle raspberry tea like it's going out of style (still delicious!) I try to do as much as possible around the house because I keep thinking that something will trigger labour, but alas. 

But I guess at least we missed the unlucky 04/04 date. Eric softened his worry about it when someone pointed out that since the two 4s add up to 8, which is the LUCKIEST number in Chinese, that our child may have escaped the bad luck anyway . How random is that?  Regardless, the poor kid is going to have ONE 4 in his/her birthday...unless I manage to defy science and give birth in May...which actually seems possible at this point.

And, I might as well wrap up with a mother update...have I mentioned yet that my mother is NOT one to coddle anybody? I believe I may have mentioned this. No one is immune from her "tough love" approach and this more or less also includes Kieran. Don't get me wrong...she is a wonderful grandmother and Kieran adores her... but believe it or not, the woman can actually NAG a toddler. She thinks it's time he got rid of his soother...which I happen to totally agree with. I hate it myself and had fully planned to get him off it AFTER the new baby arrives. I've told her about a million times now that I think doing it just days before his little world is going to change is both cruel and pointless. To her, this matters not. Every time he has it, or asks for it, she has to tell him he's too old, he's not a baby, he doesn't need it , blahblahblah. Right now he just cries when she takes it away, but I swear, if he could roll his eyes at her, he would. (One day he will, I'm sure, it's something we all learned quite young). 

And this morning, Eric was especially happy when he stumbled into the kitchen barely awake and looking for coffee, that she immediately berated him for not taking the garbage out last night like she asked him to. I don't even think she started with a "Good morning". I started to laugh, but then again, I'd already had my coffee. Eric didn't think it was QUITE so funny.  Apparently it doesn't matter who pays the mortgage, we are ALL still her children. 

Oh Baby, please hurry before somebody snaps. 






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted my coffee first... was that too much to ask?!?!

now I'm trying to stay 2 steps ahead of her...
oh hurry up baby!!