Saturday, April 12, 2008

Now I'm Just Mad

I thought for sure I was in labour last night. At about 4 pm, I started contractions and waited as they become stronger, closer and more painful, just like the books all say. Then at about 9 pm just, when I was thinking about calling Labour and Delivery, suddenly the contractions went from 5 minutes apart to 9. Then 7 minutes. Then 3. Then 9. Then stopped. Fuck. 

So, I woke up this morning and, as instructed called Labour and Delivery at 8 am only to be told that they were too busy and call back at noon. At noon, they said call back at 5. Unless of course, they call me in...which seems bloody unlikely.

All I have to say is "how busy IS this goddamn hospital?" Why bother STARTING the induction if they don't actually care to finish it? And furthermore, how USELESS IS this freakin' gel? 

I would be less cranky about this if they hadn't told me about the two stage induction and that I would be having this baby on Friday. Why not just book me for a non-stress test and then let me go another week and then ACTUALLY induce me? It's the mental stress that is the hardest to deal with I think. 

The problem with this "rotating doctor" system, as nice as it is during the pregnancy,  really sucks at the end because there isn't anybody in charge. None of the doctors know me or have even seen me more than twice. And now, 8 days overdue and halfway through an induction, I'm only in the hands of a rotating triage nurse who is basing my baby's birth according to a hospital schedule rather than anything medical.  

If they put me off again at 5....no matter when you live, you're going to hear me snap. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Update... it's 5:08... they said to call back at 7.. 7:30... Gen's gonna SNAP...

if anyone needs my I'm hiding.. in the basement.. behind the SMITH Machine... with Kieran... we have one package of Crackers and 2 bottles of Juice for him.. think we'll be okay til things are clear upstairs...

Steph said...

Oh, dear....

I'll send you some peanut butter for those crackers, Eric.

Gen, did you try the sitting-still-for-two-hours-and-not-farting thing that I suggested?

Marvin K. Baby will you please GO NOW!
:)