Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Baby Story

So, after all my ranting of the time it was taking to actually induce labour....boy did it happen fast!!!

I will spare all the gory (and let's face it, childbirth is gory) details. However, I feel like I need to update from where I last left off....

After the third gel application, there was no sign of labour, so on Sunday morning, suddenly, the hospital calls.... and they want me in, ASAP. We get there, check in, and I feel like a triage regular. The doctor comes in and I hear the nurse give her my update...the doctor quietly confirms my "freak of nature" by saying: "She's not in labour after THREE gels AND she's already had a baby?!" So, apparently, enough is enough. They are putting me on the drip. 

After that, things happen fast. And I mean fast, I get installed in a lovely birthing suite and Eric settles in with his laptop, prepared for a long day like we had with Kieran. We start watching a movie (Eric's brings the selection of No Country for Old Men, American Gangster and Enchanted. The first two seem HIGHLY inappropriate, so we put on Enchanted.) Halfway through, I tell the nurse I need the epidural and from that point on everything is QUITE fuzzy. Except I know this...a few hours later, I had a baby girl.  (See how I skipped the details...?)I will say, FOUR pushes and she was out.  Nobody was more surprised than me. 

Here are the particulars: her name is Kaya Rachel and she weighs 7lbs, 5 oz. (Which leads me to believe that she was NOT overdue at all...no idea why they went with the April 4 due date, instead of the ultrasound based April 10, but whatever). She is absolutely perfect....all fingers, all toes are present and accounted for. She is a very sweet baby, cries only when her diaper is being changed, and has huge dark eyes. So far, a real keeper. 

Anyway, exactly 25 hours after she enters the world...we're already at home. I could have used another night in the hospital, but Kaya certainly didn't need it...so here we are. 

Kieran is thrilled with his little sister. He obviously forgot about her presence overnight because, when I got up this morning and brought her into the living room his eyes went wide like it was Christmas and he yelled: "Baby!" He spends a lot of time kissing her. 

Anyway, she is being a real angel...she's asleep in the seat beside me...continuing to prove she is the polar opposite of her brother, who from the get-go did not like to be ignored while Mommy surfed the net....Sweet. 




1 comment:

Steph said...

Yay! Tell us about the name. It's very pretty!