Thursday, November 8, 2007

Poppy Guilt.

Traditionally, I have been a faithful poppy wearer. Jokingly, I have often referred to them as a scam because of their remarkable ability to disappear from my lapel forcing me to buy several more prior to Remembrance Day, but I admire the cause, and always have. (Thank you Canadian School System). As far as poppy loss goes though, this year was no exception, I got mine right away and it lasted 10 minutes - tops - before it was gone. When I got home from the grocery store where I purchased it was already nowhere to be found. And now, I haven't seen any poppy boxes since to replace it. Not a one. We used to have one at our reception desk in the office, but this year, that too was gone.

This leaves me a bit concerned about the current state of Remembrance Day. I know very few people who, after having left school, observe it in any way aside from wearing the poppy. But come November 1, the obligatory flowers pop up first on newscasters and then, presumably, across the general population. But this year, (or maybe its just the first year I've noticed) I see very, very few people wearing the poppy. I was on the train last night and the woman across from me had one on her jacket, but when I looked around at the rest of the passengers, of the 30-odd people whose lapels I could see, I saw 3 poppies. I'm sure the poor Veterans would think we were a sorry lot indeed.

So, here is the question...is it that people just don't really care anymore, or are they like me, serial poppy losers who are just between purchase and/or given up? Anyway, I guess its all beside the point, because in 3 days they will be gone again and I will have to wait another year to attempt to redeem myself. Or more likely, in 3 days my guilt will disappear just like the dozens of poppies that I have lost in my lifetime.

Sorry Veterans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can never keep them on either... I always end up stabbing myself.