Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blahs....

God, I wish January would just end already.

I was lying in bed last night listening to the wind as it raged around the house, which I normally find a bit of a comforting noise, but no luck last night. Why, you ask? (Or don't ask, as is more likely). Kieran wasn't sleeping well at all, and at about 2:30 he woke up and was absolutely wide awake. I tried bringing him into our bed where he lay quietly for about 20 minutes, but did not go back to sleep . I finally threw in the towel and we moved the living room where I hoped the crazy antics of Thomas the Tank Engine would lull him back to sleep. Didn't work. (Side note: as far as engines goes, Thomas is really sort of bratty). Anyway, it was close to 4 am before I was back asleep and of course, Kieran, who also serves as our alarm clock, did not go off between 6:30 and 7 as he normally does. Instead at 7:30 I jumped out of bed and we started the mad rush to get out of the house on time.

In general, I'm sort of ambivalent about maternity leave. I liked it, but I found a lot of the days long and I'm sure with 2 children it will be even longer. But on mornings like today, I'm soooo looking forward to it - when I won't be obligated to rush an almost 2-year old out the door in the bitter January cold before he's even had a decent breakfast or time to wake himself up.

Anyway, today I feel a bit zombie-ish, no surprise. And on top of it all, Baby #2 must be growing exponentially as I can actually feel my skin stretching to accommodate him/her, which is quite uncomfortable. Eric and I took our new mini-van (well, its almost ours at least) for a test drive last night night and I swear while I was standing in the car dealership I though the child was going to claw itself out of my belly.

January, please be over. Bring on April!

4 comments:

Steph said...

I hear you about January...and also Thomas the Tank Engine. I also find Caillou to be overly whiny, too, and was glad when my kids did not become particulary attached to either of those shows. I found myself correcting Caillou's behaviour when Sam was watching: "Oh, I'm so glad you don't whine like that!"
I bet you'll find your mat leave flies by soooooo fast this time. Not to say there won't be long days, but the weeks will seem short.
What kinda van did you get?

Anonymous said...

we got a 2006 Kia Sedona LX, Black, rides GREAT. very spacious, stow-n-go back seats

Steph said...

Ah, that's the sister to ours, I believe, the Hyundai Entourage. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Indeed it is... same interior... just different Headlights and hood on the car and of course LOGO...