Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What Little Boys are Made Of

So, we're in the middle of our weekday scramble to get out the door in the morning. Eric is off getting the Papaya dressed and I'm busying getting the kids daycare bag together. Bottles. Asthma puffer. Hats. Sunblock. All Check.

Kieran has put on his sandals and gathered up Spunky and is standing near the door impatiently wanting to go outside. Suddenly he runs over to the door, bangs it open and leans outside.

Me: "What are you doing?"

Him: "Spitting."

Me: "What?! Spitting?! We don't open the door and spit outside. Ever!!! That's yucky!"

Long pause. Kieran stares at me blankly, clearly trying to process something.

Him: "Sooooo I spit inside on the floor?"

Ah Little Boys. Apparently, if they aren't peeing on the toilet seats and laughing at fart noises they are horking out the door. Snips and snails and puppy-dog tails indeed.

I look over at Kaya, who has emerged from her bedroom with Eric, in her jaunty denim jacket with the embroidered flowers and a little tuft of hair tied neatly in a pink band. She is all clean and shiny for the day ahead. She's too young obviously to be anything other than pure sugar and spice, but I hope it holds.

Because, for the record, I HATE fart jokes.

5 comments:

Caro said...

Boys never change.

Krissie aka Boston sister-in-law said...

Carolyn nailed it. And what's worse than that, they don't even WANT to change!

Eric AKA Hubsand said...

change shmange....

Jerry said...

nobody HATES fart jokes

Kristin said...

Gen
I laughed tonight when I read this....the whole dinner table conversation until I said I was leaving and NEVER making dinner again was around my boys 3 letter favourite word...poo...rhymes, songs, disguisting stories, a few good farts to show off, etc, etc....even Graham was laughing! Calgone take me away....