Monday, May 4, 2009

But the Levy Was Dry. Also known as the 100th Post!!

So, my blog manager thingy tells me that this is my 100th post. Very exciting. So exciting in fact, that anything I write will obviously be a major letdown. So, really, I apologize in advance for not living up to the 100th post hype.

It was a lovely weekend. I went out BOTH Fiday and Saturday nights, which may be a first since Kieran's birth back in 2006. It would also explain why I'm so tired today...I'm not used to such late nights. I mean, I think I was out until 11PM two nights in a row. Pass the Red Bull, I can barely keep my eyes open...

Kieran wanted to be outside all day yesterday which was totally fine. Last spring was hard because he was just turning two and if I didn't watch him 100 per cent of time he would either be careening uncontrollably down the driveway on his bike, or once he gained control, he'd be on the sidewalk, but halfway down the street flash. Now that he understands the meaning of words like "dangerous" and "ambulance" I don't really worry about him riding out onto the street as much.

His newfound obedience was nice because it gave me time to turn my attention to getting my garden ready and also our total disgrace of a lawn. I fail to understand why our lawn is always a giant weed-patch while almost everyone else's on the street has sprung up like a lush, green blanket. I assume they must have years of experience in lawn maintenance that I just lack, but we went into the backyard and overnight it seems there are weird weeds that are as tall as the Papaya (who is probably as tall as three ACTUAL papayas). Those are tall weeds. So, while the kids were playing around I went to work pulling up Dandelions and other pesky things.

Now, our backyard in the spring is an odd place. Before all the trees have their leaves and the shrubs have filled out, I can see quite clearly into both next door neighbours yards. As I may have mentioned before, both of our next door neighbours and the house directly behind us all have pools. The house behind us has a sloped backyard, so what they have apparently done is put in an above-ground pool and then built a huge raised deck around it to give it the appearance of an in-ground pool when you walk outside their patio doors. However, this raised deck means that they are standing level with the top of the fence. It's always jarring in the spring when they are out on their yard/deck and looking down at us as though we are polar bears at the zoo.

Last summer there was a young couple with a two year old daughter in that house. A few months ago the house went up for sale and the new owners are, apparently, a young couple with a two -year old daughter. They were also outside yesterday (scoffing down at our embarrassing weed-infested back yard, no doubt) and listening to music. When we first went back there, they were listening to the song American Pie, which I've always considered to be more of a summer-time campfire song than a spring-cleaning song, but, whatever. However, the longer we stayed in the backyard I realized that American Pie was the ONLY song they were playing. Like, it was on repeat. For an hour. Maybe longer because I could tell that Kaya was getting sleepy to the repetitive sounds of the Chevy driving to that stupid Levy for the what must of been the kabillionth time and, oddly, I was dying for a whisky and rye.

So, back inside we go. It's gonna be long summer....

2 comments:

Eric AKA Hubsand said...

YEAH!! 100 posts! congrats Gen Gen!

Steph said...

Hm. Two-year-old daughter, eh? My guess is she has decreed that American Pie shall be placed on repeat until she desireth it to endeth. Daughters are cute that way. Oh, they look all cute and everything but be afraid....