Friday, April 17, 2009

The New Normal??

I've had this post sitting in draft status for about a week now. I can't seem to put a coherent thought together lately. I'm finding the adjustment back to work to be bit harder than I expected.

So, I think I've been back to work now for about 3 and a half weeks. So, yeah...this is it. The rest of my life. It just seems really hectic. We're still working on a decent routine - one that gets Eric to work on time in the morning and get us both home at night in time for have some sort of life. So far, all of that has been fairly elusive. The mornings have been more or less OK (not the total nightmare I expected) it's the evenings that are chaos. Dinner. Crying. Dishes. Bath. Kids to Bed. Clean the House. Workout. Collapse. Blech. Not enough hours in the day. Not enough sleep at night.

All of this is compounded by the fact that I'm a bit of a physical mess. As you may recall on my third day back at work I snapped my neck. It has taken me several weeks to get back to normal. After my neck went, it was followed by equally bizarre back spasms (which weren't quite as debilitating as the neck thing but were still horrible.)

Then, last week I was hit (as was Kieran) with some sort of seemingly malaria-like fatigue issues. I could not say awake past 9:30 at night and could barely drag myself out of bed in the morning, which has since morphed into a mini-flu. I have a low-grade fever that leaves me feeling like crap, but still able to go to work.

I'm assuming these issues will all resolve themselves. I remember being quite sick when I came back to work after my mat leave with Kieran, but this adjustment has been harder I think.

Also, seriously, enough of this stupid cold weather!!!!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hugs to you! I hope things smooth out soon.

I'm with you on the &(*^%&*&!! cold weather thing. Enough! And I've had some weird neck and shoulder issues going on for a few weeks now. Nothing as dramatic as yours, but enough to make me think getting older does, truly, suck.

Krissie aka Boston sister-in-law said...

As my very wise family doctor told me 13 years ago when I had a 1-yr-old, 2 2-yr-olds and a 4 yr-old, "these are the blurry years". What doesn't kill us makes us stronger apparently. :) Rest assured that it DOES get better and easier with each passing day, and someday in the near future, you will be able to complete a thought, and MAYBE even a sentence before you are interrupted by a child. People used to tell me how much I would miss my kids being small after they grew up. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....Ahem - they were WRONG, as I fully expected. Hang in there, Gen! If I can survive the blurry years with sanity intact and with all the children I started with, I'm sure you can do it!