Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Limping towards the end....

So, it's Tuesday now and I have exactly 6 days left on maternity leave (including today). It's a bit shocking that an entire year has flown by...but on the other hand, as I've mentioned, I'm ready to go back.

I thought I was being quite smart by putting both kids in full-time daycare starting this week. It would theoretically give me 5 child-free days to clean the house, get organized and just relax a bit before I throw myself back into the 9-5 life, but of course, I should have realized that since this is MY life nothing ever QUITE works out to my benefit.

The kids have been on and off sick for the past month, at least. Last week, Kieran had a pretty nasty cold. Then on Sunday, Kaya slept in quite late and at first I was quite happy to be sleeping in myself since I had also caught Kieran's cold, but when I went in to get her, she was awake and burning up at a temperature of 105.2 degrees. Poor baby. Of course, this meant that yesterday she missed her first day of daycare and I missed one day (so far) of my child free week. It ended up not really mattering since this cold is brutal and I could barely function myself but I was down to FOUR child free days.

Today, Tuesday....I still feel lousy and need to get some sleep but I dropped both kids off. Kaya seemed fine (ish) so I wasn't going to waste another day. Although after I update this I most likely am going to take a nap. So, there goes day 2 of my child-free week.

Also, I've been trying to get myself back into at least the general ballpark of my pre-baby weight. It's been hard to find the time to work out since the only reliable time slot available in the gym is from 10-11 pm. I eventually came to the realization that nothing was going to ever magically happen that would allow me work out during the day or evening and that, if I wanted to establish a routine, that 10 pm was going to be "my time."

And since poor Eric usually finishes training his clients at 10 I don't really have the heart to ask him to put aside another hour for me, but I was feeling like I needed structure and a plan so I decided to order the videos from The Firm. I thought the video plan was quite smart since although I don't usually mind waiting until 10 pm to work out in our own gym, its nice to have the option of working out earlier upstairs if the kids are in bed.

I ordered the package in January - it was a whole kit which included a variety of DVDs and free-weights. The kit arrived in time...but there were no videos inside. So I called and they said they would send the 5 missing DVDs right out and that it would take 4 weeks. Annoying, I know. Especially since the clock was ticking on my return to work. 4 weeks go by and I call and am told that its actually 4-6 weeks plus an extra week to get to Canada. So after about the seven week mark I call again and tell them that its pretty clear the videos are NOT coming. They said they will send them out express and that I'll get them in 7-10 days (plus that extra week for Canada!). This would have put the arrival at some time LAST week. So sure enough, on Friday when nothing arrives, I call and they tell me that the package will most likely be delivered on Monday. So, low and behold when Monday rolls around, I open the mailbox there is my package. I was quite pleased. Until I opened it and it's the WRONG video set. They send the DVD set for their OTHER kit which requires some balance board type thing (which of course I don't have, so these videos are totally useless to me.)

So, I pick up the phone and have a terrible time restraining myself from calling the entire company a band of complete idiots. Really...how stupid are these people? I told her that maybe it would just be easier if they gave me my money back, but she said that they would ship out the correct videos right away and that they would credit my account. Ten dollars. (Whoo Hoo! Who wants a coffee?!) Whatever. I said OK that I would wait ONE more time. Although now I'm sure I'll be talking to them in 7-10 days, plus one week for Canada. Morons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you have the videos delivered to me, I can hand-deliver them to you in 3 weeks..... oh, plus an extra week for Canada. :)