Monday, March 17, 2008

Sorry Sassy

It looks like our oldest cat has to go. This is very sad for me and I feel like a bit of a failure that I have to do this.

She's only around 8 or 9 years old - I have had her for about 5 of those years and she's is deep down inside a really good cat. She sleeps beside me on the bed every single night and purrs happily the second I get into bed. But the rest of the time, she's apparently miserable.

When I got her, I was single and living on my own and we were quite happy, the two of us. Then I met Eric, which she wasn't too happy with and starting peeing on anything of his that was ever left at my apartment. I dutifully took her to the vet right away and we ruled out medical issues and after a few months it got a bit better. Then Eric and I moved in together, got another cat, moved again and started to renovate our new house, she started up again, ruining our the hours-old new carpet in our newly finished family room as well as soiling every single baseboard in the new room practically as soon as the nail went in.

Then along came Kieran and shortly after that Eric started his PT business in our basement. We built a new bathroom in the basement and not surprisingly, Sassy has ruined the baseboards in there too and forget about the $60 bathmats we bought. Long gone.

But now, she is out of control. She no longer really uses the litter box and just goes constantly anywhere in the basement - mainly in Eric's gym. His clients are complaining and Eric, never a Sassy fan, just wants her GONE. So, on Saturday after I walked in the back door (which I haven't used all winter) I realized that the first thing Eric's client's smell when they step inside our house is the disgusting, unmistakable odour of cat pee. I called the vet and took her in right away, where again, we ruled out anything medical. I had a long chat with the vet about it, and the vet has recommended more or less that we find her a new home. Sassy needs a nice quite life like she had with just me at one time. No kids (who she hates), no other cats, no sweaty clients coming in and out of her house leaving their various body odours behind that she feels the need to eradicate with her own smell. She is perfectly healthy and has a lot of good years left in her too...but apparently not with us.

The final straw was last night, when I went into our bedroom to find that (again, brand new) bag that i was going to pack to bring to the hospital is now completely saturated. I just can't deal with it anymore.

On top of all this is of course, Kieran's asthma outbreaks. We don't think they are allergy related - yet - but the doctor says she wouldn't be helping.

If I can't find someone to take her (and she isn't really an easy sell, given the smell of our house), I'll have to find a shelter who will take her. I am guilt ridden that it has come to this, but we are sort of at a crisis point.

Poor Sassy. I wish I could explain it to her.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Aw, that's too bad. We had friends who had to do that when their first baby arrived. They had to give up both cats. It coincided with some neighbourhood cats taunting theirs at the windows. It's a hard thing, for sure. Unfortunately a stressed cat is very hard to live with. Don't be too hard on yourself. Cats are kinda freaky.