Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Week from Hell...

What a week THIS is shaping up to be!

We'll start off with Sunday, where we had planned to take Kieran out with his toboggan to play in the snow. Only, when I stepped outside that morning, I knew that we wouldn't be going anywhere. The temperatures were beyond frigid, and the wind was ridiculous, so we remained more or less housebound for the day.

As compensation, I offered to make pancakes for breakfast. We'd had a pancake breakfast earlier in the week at my office, and Eric had been sort of whiny about wanting some. I know this may sound odd, but I have never made pancakes. (They just aren't typically appealing to me and they are also usually the last breakfast item I would order in a restaurant.) But, hey, I thought I'd give it a whirl. Yeah, from now on pancakes are off the menu. In 2 minutes flat the house was thick with smoke and I had about 7 charred discs on my hands. I threw a bunch out and tried again and got a few that were edible, but overall breakfast was not a success. Kieran would barely touch them.

My next move was to hand-scrub the floors of the entire house. Although I mop the floor regularly, there really is no substitute for getting right down to floor level to see exactly what is lurking there. So, there I was 7.5 months pregnant on my hands and knees for almost two hours cleaning every inch of my floors...which of course, I swear it took Kieran mere minutes guck right up again.

As we move into Monday morning, things really start to pick up. We're off to a late start, which isn't really unusual, but as I'm wrestling Kieran into his snow gear, I can hear Eric repeatedly slamming the door to the van. He comes inside and says that the driver side door will absolutely NOT close. Although it opened no problem, it would not catch again to close - even a little bit. In the week we've owned this van, this is already the second problem we've had with the driver door. The day after we got it, for whatever reason when we unlocked the doors with the keyless entry the drivers side would not open and I had to manually open it from inside to let Eric in. Sort of a weirdo glitch, but not really a huge deal. Anyway, now this...

So, since we can't leave it in the driveway with the door open all day, we decided to swing by the Kia dealership to see if they can do something. I put Kieran into our other car and he immediately starts to wail: "Cold! Cold! Cold" I don't blame him, as the car was a freezing iceblock. We drive to the dealership, Eric awkwardly holding the van door closed the whole way. At Kia, the guy apparently looks at Eric like he's an idiot and tells him that "....the door is frozen!" Okaaaaaaayyy...its not like we are surprised by the fact, but we both grew up in Thunder Bay for crying out loud and neither of us had ever had a car freeze itself open and knowing that's all it was didn't fix out our dilemma. I could drive it to work and park it underground for the day but I'm not exactly going to do a hour commute while trying to hold a door shut. So, anyway, in the parking lot of Kia, Eric somehow manages to manually unfreeze the latch himself. Thanks a frigging LOT Kia. Dicks.

But no, we're not done yet...through all the chaos I sort of realize that I'm feeling really queasy. I have been easing off my anti-nausea pills lately and instead of the prescribed four, have been able to get myself down to one. And on the weekend I had cut the last pill out entirely to no adverse effects. Do you see where this is going?

Yeah, we're already over an hour late for work (only halfway through the commute) and I start throwing up. Only this time, we aren't prepared with my usual stockpile of plastic bags...all we have is a paper bag, which lasted about 30 seconds before everything had soaked through the bag and all over me. We pull over at a store, Eric runs inside to buy wet wipes and I try to clean myself up. Although i was tempted to turn around and go home, Eric needed to get to the office and since I hadn't actually hit my clothes, just my coat (dry clean only! my only maternity coat!), we continued on.

It was crazy busy day at work, and although I technically shouldn't have left at 4:30 to carpool with Eric, I absolutely could not take the train home with a jacket that smelled like vomit, so I made Eric wait for a bit so he could drive me home. Turns out that our daycare provider had dinner reservations and when we called to say we were running late, she was not impressed. So, top speed, we get out to Mississauga, I'm feeling sick again and barely refrained from another barf-fest and finally got home. Needless to say, I'm back on the pills again.

Now today, its another freakin' blizzard. God, can this week just END already?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my poor Gen.

Anonymous said...

BOOOOOO Busy Pregnant Gen.. no BLOGS.. boooooooooo