Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chivalry is Dead.

So, I had my bi-weekly OB appointment today. Man, there are a lot of pregnant women out there. 

I switched OBs from last time because although I liked my doctor, her practice was ridiculously disorganized. I mean,consistently three hours behind disorganized. It got to the point that an OB appointment meant pretty much an entire half day off work, every time. Once, my appointment was at 3:15 and I finally saw her for my three minute check up at 6:3o pm. To compound the problem, she had a tiny waiting room with 7 chairs and no standing space. And what used to drive me absolutely CRAZY was pregnant women who would bring their husband and/or their mother, who would invariably park themselves in some valuable chair real estate and then not move. More than once, I was left standing, while these husbands sat oblivious in their chairs, their wives looking meekly on. 

My new hospital/practice is quite a bit better. The waiting room has about 35 chairs, and typically, they aren't running too far behind. Not to say they are like the German train system, but compared to my last experience, I can't really complain. Until today. My appointment was for 9:30 and when I walked in, I knew I was in for the long haul. When I opened the door, I was met by this waft of thick, hot air. People were standing, there was even  a line up to check -in that was 5 people deep.

By the time I had proceeded through check in, there was a open chair, which I immediately snagged. And then I had a chance to look around....at least 40 people packed the room. 5 women had husbands with them, and several had children. One had two kids (one who was school age, even) and her mother.  All the husbands, save one, were sitting. 

Did I mention it was hot? A room packed full of pregos, in huge winter coats and boots, feeling twice as uncomfortable as usual.  I, thankfully, had brought a magazine (a Macleans issue from November, no less) that I burrowed into. After about 45 minutes of waiting, I happened to look up and noticed three women without chairs. Thankfully, the receptionist did stand up and announce that any fathers who had seats should give theirs up to a pregnant woman who was standing. 

I cannot, still CANNOT believe that such an announcement had to be made. In an OB waiting room, no less. 

Seriously, I think it's absolutely unforgivable. And, should I have had reason to bring Eric to an appointment, there is no chance I would sit quietly knowing that he was taking up a seat while a fellow- pregnant woman was standing. None. Zero. Possibly even if he had a broken leg I may shame him into standing. 

When the receptionist made the announcement, the man sitting across from me, had the nerve to sigh loudly. In his sigh, I could actually hear that he had been expecting the announcement but had  had no intention of moving until it was actually requested. He didn't even seem particularly embarassed by being told, when I think he should have been mortified. 

It just makes me think sadly about our society today. Everyone is so wrapped up in themselves. I want my son to grow up to be gentleman. Sure, maybe the days of opening car doors for the ladies are long gone...I'm not going to pretend to mourn the loss of pointless and sort of goofy acts of faux-chivalry. I don't think most women want to be treated like a delicate flower on a daily basis. But pregnant women in OB waiting rooms? It seems so, so....BASIC. 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so what I got out of this is.. if I had a broken leg.. Gen would make me stand. HMPF.

Steph said...

That is truly a sad comment on society today. It goes beyond chivalry to just plain common sense! The chairs, obviously, should be reserved for pregnant women and people with broken appendages - whether they are husbands or not.

Anonymous said...

THanks Steph... at least you care...

Steph said...

Well of course I care, Eric! I like chocolate-dipped strawberries, too. Just send them directly to my house. ;)