Tuesday, October 28, 2008

You're a Serial Killer, Charlie Brown

That old classic "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" was on TV tonight and I thought it might be fun to introduce Kieran to some of the stuff I watched when I was little. Thankfully, time and progress haven't  rendered it completely unwatchable like say, Mr Rogers Neighbourhood, which I notice is being replayed on PBS and is the Most. Outdated. Program. Ever.

I was immediately struck by how different these old cartoons are from the pablum that kids are fed today. Kids shows today are all either about love, caring and sharing or they are relentlessly educational. And, really, after a character asks a question, do they have to pause for 3-5 seconds for kids at home to yell out the answers, every single bloody time? (I'm talking to you Dora). 

But, back to Peanuts... I'd forgotten how cruel those kids are. Funny, but cruel. Seriously, poor Charlie Brown gets a Halloween Party invite and is immediately told by some bitchy girl that it was be a mistake and that he was on the list of kids that weren't supposed to be invited. And it's downhill from there. He's then the loser that opens himself up to further ridicule by cutting a million eye-holes in his ghost sheet and is the kid that gets only rocks while trick or treating. 

This leads me to wonder...we all know that Charlie Brown never, ever catches a break, but that must have taken its toll over time. How much rejection and negativity can a little kid take before he's putting Snoopy in the microwave and learning how to make bombs off the internet? Perhaps next we'll see him being followed around by an A&E camera crew as they chronicle his downward spiral into a world of drugs and prostitution?

All I know is that we haven't seen the last of Charlie Brown and if I was Lucy Van Pelt, well...I'd be practicing my psychiatry under an assumed name. 

See you at Christmas, Charlie Brown. Stay Strong. (But if you cannot fight your urge to kill...I'm going to give you Caillou's address. Can't stand that kid.)






3 comments:

Steph said...

Awesome post! I think Caillou is the Whiniest. Kid. Ever! Thomas the Tank Engine isn't much better - brattiest train I ever met. I'll take Dora over those Disney princesses, though. At least she gets out and goes hiking.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that my kids are old and I only had to tolerate Barney and Sesame Street (in the good ol' days before cookies were "a sometimes food"). And don't forget that Charlie Brown is saved from a life of depravity and murder by the annual group hug and rally around the pathetic Christmas tree, whilst "oooooh-ing" to the tune Hark! The Herald Angels. It's more likely that Caillou (whoever THAT is) will be done in by Rudolph, who, sadly, will ALWAYS have that red nose, but won't always have a Christmas Eve snowstorm during which to play hero.

Anonymous said...

there is a show on teletoon later in the night...Robot Chicken, they do stop motion animation. they have spoofed Peanuts and the Great Pumpkin is real and kills everyone!
Charlie Brown is the soul survivor.
Patti and Marcie kiss and Charlie B
punts Lucy!
its great to see him come out on top for once.