Monday, May 12, 2008

The Royal Papaya

Where is the time going? I'm having trouble updating this blog (obviously).  Whenever I have the time, I don't seem to have much to say and when I'm busy I have a million topics to blog about but can't make the trip down the stairs. 

Things are going quite well here in Maternity Leave World. Kaya (also now known around these parts as Kaya Papaya or more recently, the Royal Papaya) remains a dream baby. She is coming very close to possibly even sleeping through the night. Although, I suspect reality will come crashing through shortly, since we are going to move her from her cradle in our bedroom into her big, lonely crib in her almost-finished Tinkerbell bedroom. Although, when I say she's in her cradle, she sort of isn't really. The problem with having the cradle right beside our bed is that I have developed a really bad habit of, when she starts to fuss, just lifting her into the bed and thus buying an extra 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I know this is a bad habit, but as I've always said, no one makes great parenting decisions anywhere between 1 and 5 am. 

Because the Papaya is such an angel, the days don't seem as long as they did with Kieran as a newborn. Even when Kieran is not in daycare, he still takes a good three hour nap and today, they both slept for the same three hour stretch. I couldn't believe it. I took the time to make soup, and I don't know what is more alarming...that I had all the ingredients to make soup, that I had time to make soup, or the fact that I MADE SOUP. Lentil soup. With spinach. 

We also dropped into the Early Years Centre today. I hadn't set foot in the place since the ill-fated "Infant Mother Goose" class I did with Kieran when he was around three months old. (Too bad, I wasn't blogging at the time, I would have had LOTS to rant about..starting with the horrendous "Mommy Circle Time" where we had to go around the circle and say "Something that made you happy this week and something that made you sad this week." Gag.) Anyway, I figured I would start fresh because I now have a two year old to entertain. So while I'm looking at the class schedule, we go into the play area and Kieran, not surprisingly, attaches himself the the Brio Train Table. The boy is obsessed with trains. And he plays and he plays and finally after about a hour the Royal Papaya begins to fuss, and since the chances of me breastfeeding in anything resembling public is nil, I tell Kieran we had to leave...and he looks up at me, waves, and says "Bye!" and turns back to his train. When I finally put my foot down and told him we were ALL leaving,  I was treated to my first full blown two-year-old tantrum. He screamed, and kicked and wailed and finally, one of the employees from the Centre had to carry Kaya out the car while I dragged a struggling Kieran who was wailing "TRAINTRAINTRAIN" all the way to the car.  So, I guess Kieran liked the Centre. 

I also found out that there is an Early Years drop in centre at the Retirement Home on my street. Literally about a 1 minute walk from my house. So, I'm sort of pleased about that. It runs every morning and even offers some "inter-generational" programs. I feel that a class filled with Toddlers and Geriatrics  (which I doubt is the class name, but wouldn't that be sweet if it was?) will give me LOTS to blog about! 

1 comment:

Steph said...

Soup: Mmmm!
Papaya: She sounds dreamy!
Play groups: Scary.
Tantrums: Also scary. And loud. Love 'em.
Geriatrics: Sounds good, but remember that sarcasm doesn't work on old people, authority figures and, I've now learned, young children. Rule to live by.