Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Black Cat

We have a very friendly, sweet black cat named Wesley. About a year ago (after we'd had him for almost a year) we moved from an apartment into house and when spring arrived, he one day darted out the door and has pretty much remained an outdoor cat ever since. (Unlike our other cat, Sassy who is fat, lazy and likes to be outside for about 5 minutes as long as no loud cars go by). Wesley comes inside for food and a nap, but otherwise is very happy to spend his life outside, getting fleas and killing things.

Now today is Halloween, so being responsible cat owners, we have decided to keep him inside, which is no mean feat. Wesley is smart and fast so you have to think ahead every time you open the door. As for not letting him outside during Halloween...I thought this was a known thing. People do bad, scary things to innocent black cats this time of year. I have heard this time and time again. My coworkers apparently have not and seem to think I'm being ridiculous and overprotective and that nobody would actually hurt a cat just because its black and outside at Halloween.

I don't think I'm way off. Maybe its believing the worst in people, but I would never forgive myself if tonight happened to be the day he never comes home and would always imagine that he suffered a painful, torturous death at the hands of some Halloween-crazed satanist.

And for one night, birds and rodents in our neighbourhoods can forage for food in peace for it is the one night THEY may be safe from a painful, torturous death at that paws of Wesley, who is undoubtedly their own, personal boogeyman. Ironic, huh?

4 comments:

Eric AKA Hubsand said...

okay. Fine. I checked out our blog. cute.

xoxo
Your Hubsand
Eric

Steph said...

Harumph. At least YOUR husband checks out YOUR blog. You're a lucky girl!

test said...

not only does her husband check out her blog, her WORK HUSBAND checks it out as well.

hows that for lucky?!

Steph said...

INDEED! Lucky girl. I need to get me a work husband. Since I work from home - by myself - that could be tricky. Perhaps if I teach my multifunction unit to read it would make a good work husband? I love my multifunction unit.