Tuesday, September 29, 2009

People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Call the Kettle Black

A former co-worker of mine coined a phrase that I have more or less come to live by. She was having an argument with an employee in our accounting department and I remember listening to her side of an obviously painful phone conversation with said employee which ended with her slamming down the phone and then turning to me and saying: "Don't you hate it when somebody who you think is stupid actually thinks YOU'RE the stupid one?" And she had a fantastic point, because, yes, I DO hate that.

The same philosophy, I have come to realize, can be applied to parenting. It has come to my attention that someone who I think could probably lay off the reading of the parental manuals for a few minutes in order to properly apply the lessons, actually had the nerve to openly criticize the way I handle my kids. And this makes me crazy.

Let me explain. This woman is a friend of friends. We usually only see each other at a mutual friend's house where it is quite clear that we have nothing in common with each other save children who are the same age.
I could relay the entire story, but for the sake of brevity I'll just say this: Kieran still uses a soother. Yes, he's just past three and he uses a soother - not all the time, strictly for soothing purposes and at bedtime. I wish he didn't and I do understand that the permanent removal of said soother lies in my hands.
Anyway, by the time we had arrived at this party Kieran was already, God help us all, overtired and I could see we were likely going to wind up in some sort of meltdown, which we did. I tried to calm him but he was inconsolable and it was getting sort of embarrassing. Then I remembered with huge relief that I had Kaya's soother in my pocket, which I fished out and handed to him. It worked, as it always does, like magic. Crying stops, party resumes. Three minutes later I take the soother away and off he goes to play.

So apparently, in the world of judgemental parenting, allowing a three year old to use a soother is a transgression of relatively epic proportions. We left the party relatively early, I mean, after all, I had a clearly tired child on my hands who needed his own bed and a good night's sleep. And after we left, apparently, the woman who is, if I may borrow loosely from 30 Rock, the Patron SAINT of Judgemental Parenting (PSofJP), felt it necessary to point out to the other party guests, the colossal error of my ways.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that I have never been critical of anyone else's parenting. I am the first to admit that I have occasionally enjoyed the smug satisfaction that surely all parents feel when they hear of some serious questionable way that other raise their kids, but has it come to this? Party flogging over soothers?

I would have dismissed this episode as sheer bitchiness, except that this is not the first time I have borne the brunt of this woman's parenting wrath. The last time was because we were sharing an anecdote of Kaya waking up from a nap with a fever of 105.1. It had been the dead of winter and we didn't want to rush off to Emergency to sit there for four hours, so I had called Telehealth. I knew about spiking fevers and febrile seizures but I wasn't sure at what point we needed to get to a hospital, but the Telehealth nurse walked us through her entire checklist and by the time the nurse said that based on the symptoms we definitely did NOT need to go the Emergency, Kaya's temperature was already coming down.

Anyway, I was telling this story to our PSoJP and she couldn't seem to get OVER the fact that we didn't go to Emergency. She was citing seizures and brain damage and I told her that I thought brain damage didn't kick in until the fever was much higher, but since I hadn't been expecting any sort of inquisition on the matter I hadn't done any research, so I just said that we listened to the nurse and that Kaya was totally fine. But apparently, again after we left, I was told that a huge discussion took place about how horrible it was that we never took our poor sick baby who was possibly on the verge of death, to the hospital. Out of fury, I did an Internet search and for those of you who may be interested...I was right - the risk of brain damage starts at a temperature of 107.6.
Still, even though I think this woman could learn to be a bit of a nicer person in general, I actually do think that all parents - not just her - need to take a good long look at themselves before they so freely criticize others.

Parenting is not easy and every kid is different. It seems like every decision you make is fraught with the peril of potentially life ruining consequences for your innocent baby or child - it starts in the hospital with the old formula/breastfeeding debate and just goes on from there.
Do we really need to criticize others just to make us feel better about ourselves? What does it matter to her or anyone else if my three year old needs a soother now and then? This culture of "Holier than Thou" parenting is just annoying, because as far as I'm concerned we all live in glass houses.
All I know is this...my kids are loved and safe. They have bedtimes and routines, clean clothes and vegetables. They are happy. And if that isn't enough for you, here is a soother (not Kieran's because he might need it later) to shut you up.

3 comments:

Krissie aka Just Another Flawed Parent said...

GO GEN! I think your blog would be an EXCELLENT newspaper editorial - you should send it in. I hereby dub thee "Patron Saint of ACTUAL Parenting" "PSofAP". Ya gotta LOVE the people who don't have the guts to get into the depths of their criticism while you are still around to defend yourself, but are happy to expound on the many alleged parenting flaws after you've left the premises. All kids are different, and parenting is not a "one size fits all" exercise. The sooner that woman realizes it and shuts her mouth, the better.

Krissie said...

PS - Seriously, I would have thought the new boobs would be FAR more interesting to gossip about than a stupid soother!!! :)

Steph said...

Wait a second...do your kids actually EAT the vegetables? If so, you are a GODDESS of parenting. :)