Monday, January 12, 2009

Who Wants Lunch?

I was going to come and update this blog earlier tonight, but I got totally sucked into The Bachelor. I'm not sure why this always happens to me. I feel like I should be better than trashy TV, but apparently it's the complete opposite. I like to pretend that I stopped on the channel just to see what desperate crazies are vying for the Bachelor's attention this time but 10 minutes later I'm asking the PVR to record the rest of the season lest I miss a single dramatic moment.

Anyway, I hate winter and especially hate the fact that it keeps on snowing. But unless its actually snowing outside (when I'm more than happy to stay inside) I hate being stuck in the house, so I decided to take the kids over to the library/community centre today, which is usually about a five minute walk. So, I bundle the kids up, shake the snow off the stroller, load the baby in and make several runs back into the house for extra blankets, Kleenex and survival gear. We get 10 feet down the driveway and I immediately realize the colossal error I have made. The sidewalks, though plowed, are still snow covered and the stroller, apparently, does not roll on snow. A wiser woman would have returned to the house, but I had already invested a half hour in the whole bundling process, so I soldiered on. So, yes, I pushed and/or dragged the stroller, wheels locked, the entire way.

And if I didn't look silly enough on the way TO the library, the terrain so slippery that the stroller occasionally erratically veering of course and into a snowbank, I'm sure I looked even more ridiculous on the way home, after I had stopped at the grocery store and picked up a bunch of things. The store near me charges for bags, so I filled the stroller basket and then loaded the rest of my things into a cardboard box, which since Kieran was walking, I placed on his little bench at the back of the stroller. Well, no sooner are we back on the sidewalk when, naturally, he collapses in a heap of two-year-old randomness and refused to walk another step. I tried to force his bluff by walking away but when I looked back he was lying dramatically on the sidewalk 100 feet behind me and I knew he was not going to be cajoled into walking the entire way home, so I had to drag the laden stroller back to his rescue.

Anyway, Kieran wants to be carried, which is obviously not going to be possible without any traction on the stroller, so there I am on the sidewalk emptying out my cardboard box and trying to fit all my groceries into every nook and cranny on both the stroller and myself. By the time I was on the move again, I had vegetables stuffed down my jacket and in my pockets, chicken (regretfully on sale, so i was stocking up) overflowing the diaper bag and cartons of eggs, cheese strings and a two litre carton of juice piled ON TOP OF THE BABY, while I pushed the useless stroller the long way home, since, oh yeah, all my regular shortcuts have been plowed into oblivion.

The entire trip took us almost two hours. Luckily, Kieran was happy to settle in with Wall E while I unearthed the groceries from my pants. Best outing ever.

3 comments:

Steph said...

You are a hoooot! This is probably my last winter with the stroller. Yes, it is good exercise to push a heavy, laden stroller through snow, but I think I'll get over it. I'll try not to cry. Maybe I'll replace that form of exercise with something like, I don't know, carrying anvils through quicksand.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried using the "bike stroller/trailer" thing as a normal stroller? It's got those big wheels at the back that should go easily through snow, and, I suspect, LOADS of room inside to stuff groceries around your children. Better still, there's these new-fangled things called "cars" that you might want to consider using. :)

Caro said...

Haha, oh small children.

"Lying dramatically on the sidewalk."

I could see him doing that. He is one of the more dramatic two-year olds I've met.