Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Talker

I'm expecting a very large Christmas gift this year from Rogers. (Rogers the company, no, not you random blog-reading guys named-Roger - although, feel free). We bundle all of our household media (cable, internet, home phone and Eric's cell phone) from these guys, so we always receive a nice hefty monthly bill from them...which I pay promptly because I want nothing, NOTHING to interfere with the enjoyment I get daily from my PVR

But it's not the cable side who love us. It's the wireless. And you know why? Because my husband used over 1600 cell phone minutes last month. 1600. I will spare you from digging out your own calculator and tell you that is over 26 solid hours of air time.

Now, you may think about this ridiculous number and say...well, Naive Wife, surely he must be chatting up some yappy minx who-is-not-you, because that's a LOT of usage. But no...here is what makes this truly alarming...it's volume, plain and simple. Rarely, if ever are calls more than 5 minutes. Our bill last month came in a large 8x10 envelope - meaning, it was too thick to FOLD. Pages and pages of incoming and outgoing calls. And it's not even a work phone, at least in the 9-to-5 sense. No, I looked at the bill with what can only be described as shock and awe, and even knowing who most of the calls are to and from (bandmates, band agents, personal training clients, friends and me) it is still a sight to behold. 

Now maybe it's just me. Maybe there are lots of people who regularly use this many minutes, and that fact that I even find this noteworthy enough to blog about says much more about me and my lameness than him. I mean, I had my own phone line in my bedroom in high school and I was on it all the time. I'm sure I talked more than 26 hours a month...but I was 16 and this was waaaaayyy before internet. (I pause here for a moment to imagine a chatroom scenario using our Commodore 64 - which surely would have entailed downloading a text message on cassette and then walking said cassette down the street to a friends house.)

Anyway, I have come to terms with the fact that my husband is neither a teenage girl nor, the other obvious option, a drug dealer (the first option is actually more likely than the second). No, its all legit. Crazy, but legit. 

Still, you're welcome, Rogers.  I am assuming that our thank you/Christmas gift is in the mail. I'm sure Eric would like a new iPhone, but I'm thinking maybe a new PVR? With three tuners and more recording hours? Thanks. 






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I blame Erin (Burlington) and Brian (Guelph), and Neil (Barrie) and.. okay.. only those three... shrugs

Anonymous said...

that must cost a freaking fortune ..

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I don't even use 16minutes a month on my cell phone. But, as my husband says, I'm a Luddite. The fact that I even HAVE a cell phone is something of a miracle. Even if it is old and big and clunky.....it happens to the best of us.

Anonymous said...

Oops - that "K" submission above is really me. There is no connection between the new alias and any embarrassment over having the oldest working cell phone in the world. I just typed too fast - REALLY!

Anonymous said...

also Eric ... you can blame those 3 "far away" people all you want BUT distance from you makes no difference in the amount of minutes used ... :)

Anonymous said...

Yes Jerry but I get the message from my agent... to call him ASAP.. for potential gigs.. and he does taht ALOT.. and he;s in Guelph.. so my day time minutes just go POMPH!.. but as well... between talking to Erin. and Neil regularly... my clients all seem to call me around 5 everyday.. and my free minutes don't start til 6.. which will change to 5pm on Jan 2nd! woo hoo.

Lucky for me that Gen is NOT a phone person.
she tells me what to pick up for dinner etc.. or my status on when I'll be home and click it's done...
she just uhm.. blogs about it.

Oh and Krissie.. love the "K" submission.. feel so secretive... and James bond like..

E

Steph said...

Oh, my - I LOVED your texting comparison! I began my computing life with a TRS (Trash) 80 in high school - so I can totally relate to the "saving it to cassette" thing. Very good! Tee hee!!