Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The More Things Change....

Whilst I wait for my soon-to-be-two-year-old's birthday cake to bake (I know, I'll say it for you.."Two already? Dang, time flies!"), I thought I might jump on the computer for a quick blog update. Except, my blog updates are never quick and I can guarantee that the cake will be baked well before I hit Publish on this sucker. 

His party is on Saturday - nothing exciting planned, as he is only two and needs very little in the way of amusement and/or friends. We are holding it outside and the weather, as per usual, is going to be lousy. I would much rather be blogging about the the joy of the springtime outdoors, or perhaps even, as someone who has lived through a Melanoma diagnosis, droning on about the perils of too much sun instead of the perils of too much crappy daytime TV. 

But babies and TV are really all I have.

The other day, in a fit of boredom/curiousity, I tuned into Days of Our Lives.  When I was 13 years old, I used to set the Betamax religiously every day to tape the show and remember rushing home from school to watch it. (Settling down in front of the TV with my cord-attached remote control, no less) But I was semi-obsessed with the show...Bo and Hope, Patch and Kayla...those were the days. Well,  apparently, those still ARE the days. I almost fell over when I tuned it and there were Patch and Kayla on the screen, expecting a baby.  Not exactly fresh-faced anymore...it all seemed so tired and creepy. Sort of like the New Kids on the Block reunion. 

As for the baby...my angel is back. Her descent into fussy baby-dom was shortlived, and I'm chalking it up to a growth spurt. She did a 7.5 hour stretch of sleep last night. I have decided that one of the most gratifying noises in the world is the sound of a seven week old waking up in the night, crying out a bit and then, just as you are blearily throwing off the covers to rescue her, the noises stop and she's out for a few more hours. Love it, love it, love it. 

Anyway, one of Eric's clients gave him a Playstation 3 in lieu of cash as payment. (We also have a neatly mowed lawn, trimmed hedges, garage cleaned and trash hauled away - barter is alive and well in these parts. )And now we are the proud owners of, among other things, Guitar Hero. I'm pretty bad. It brings me back to my childhood (pre-Days of our Lives obsessed) when I took piano lessons and after about 5 years and going through every single beginner book in existence without advancing to any of the piano grades, my teacher called my mother to say teaching me piano was a waste of his time and her money.  For me, music is for listening, not playing...even virtually. 

Cake is done. 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gen! Courtney sent me your blog address. It's been fun reading all your entries, and a terrific distraction from my job. I've tuned into "Days" a few times myself (benefit of the work-from-home situation), and I totally agree that it just doesn't grab my interest the way it used to. Too much real life under our belts, I suppose, to view the show with anything but mild amusement and disdain. Hope the boy's cake didn't burn!